Thursday, January 6, 2011

That's Entertainment!

From a graphic at Gene Hayward's



Of course, I couldn't resist playing with the numbers...



Related posts --
Mine: Between Three and Four Percent
Gene's: What has changed in the Movie industry in the last 10 years? ...

I thought this difference interesting: Gene compares the increase in ticket prices to CPI inflation... I look at the increase in ticket prices as an example of inflation.

Also, we both chose to look at the "entertainment" part of the original graphic.

2 comments:

GeneHayward said...

Thank you for this analysis...I did not think of it in those terms. I talked about it with my classes and they attributed the increase in average ticket price to the proliferation of 3D movies, which are about $3.00 more per ticket than a a 2-D movie. I wonder if that was factored out, what the real difference in the change in prices would have been. I am WAY to lazy to do the math on that one... :)

The Arthurian said...

Hey, Gene. I read your comment earlier today, and scribbled a comment on scratchpaper. Maybe it's not relevant... but that's what I'm best at. Anyway:

That's the funny thing about the economy, Gene. There's always 3D technology or a Housing Bubble or women entering the workforce or something, by which the economic forces work themselves out and the imbalances are exposed.

...for what it's worth.

I thought it was neat that we both focused on the "entertainment" item and we both poked it with a stick and turned it over and looked at it a bit.

I'm on OVERTIME this week at work. I guess the recession's over...