Sunday, June 28, 2015

Small world


Recently I found a Reddit link on "How Sovereign Debt Accelerated the First Industrial Revolution". Oh, I said. I know about that. Retrieving what I know brought me back to Tales of Debt Mountain (31 August 2010). And that brought me back to that thing Keynes said:

For nothing short of the exuberance of the greatest age of the inducement to investment could have made it possible to lose sight of the theoretical possibility of its insufficiency.

So I googled the phrase "the greatest age of the inducement to invest". Only a few results turned up -- mostly my own here on the blog and in comments on other blogs. But there was one solid hit that wasn't mine: John Maynard Keynes, Critical Assessment: Second series by John Cunningham Wood, in the Google Books.

In Wood's book is the article Keynes on the Stages of Development of the Capitalist Economy: The Institutional Foundation of Keynes's Methodology by J.R. Crotty, from the Journal of Economic Issues, September 1990, vol. 24, no. 3.

In Crotty's article Google found two hits for the "the greatest age" phrase. I was reading the article for a while, finding much that I like and only a little to raise an eyebrow at. (Unusual, I know.) Suddenly, I got feedback from my brain: J.R. Crotty... I think I've seen that name before! So I did a google search for it on the blog.


Yup, I referenced him before. Small world.

Seeming agreement, remarkable alignment, and all that. Pretty cool.As I read more of Crotty's article, I kept finding quotable stuff. So, welcome to Crotty Week.

No comments: