Friday, December 31, 2010

"Suggested remedies"

MY APPROACH ALWAYS IS TO TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE ECONOMIC PROBLEM. SO IT WAS OUT-OF-CHARACTER FOR ME TO "JUMP TO THE END" AND LOOK FOR SOLUTIONS IN MY POSTS. TEN ARE LISTED HERE. YOU CAN GRADE MY EFFORTS ON THE RELEVANCE OF THE SELECTED ITEMS.

Debt Does Not Exist provides a definition of debt, and shows what's missing from policy.

Gresham's Law Redux asks an important question, I think, when it finally gets around to it.

The Business Income Tax offers a suggestion that is more conceptual than practical, perhaps.

Cut wut? is a short one. Makes the distinction between old and new debt.

Creating Slack is an attempt to show what happens when policy incentives turn as I want to turn them. (The example policy is punitive, which is unfortunate; but that is a different matter.)

Financial Reform ties together my ideas on taxes and accelerated repayment of debt.

Four Views contrasts my policy recommendations to three others.

Parsing the Question (Part 2) is an attempt to show how real-world numbers could change if our policy shifts appropriately.

The Great Indebtedness ends with a clear policy recommendation, I think.

The Blind Leading the Blind offers a clear objection to existing policy.

Clarity

There are two different strategies that need to be developed: one to deal with recovery from the crisis and recession; the other to correct the policies that allowed the crisis to develop. I know I don't pay enough attention to the distinction. Sounds like a New Year's Resolution in the works...

Symmetry

I would like our policies to be symmetrical. Symmetry is the "template" I use to design solutions. I want to match the solution to the problem better than existing policy does. For example, in a world of excessive credit-use, the only productive solution is to accelerate the repayment of debt.

No comments: